Skip to main content

Pain And Glory Movie Review

“Love is not enough.  Love may move mountains, but it’s not enough to save the person you love.” - Alberto Crespo
See the source image
Pain And Glory is the newest film from the highly respected Spanish director and screenwriter Pedro Almodóvar.  It stars Antonio Banderas, Asier Etxeandia, Penélope Cruz, Leonardo Sbaraglia, and César Vicente.  The movie competed for the prestigious Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival, but lost to Bong Joon-ho’s Parasite.  
Banderas plays Salvador Mallo, a filmmaker who suffers from many physical and mental conditions that make his life very painful and difficult.  Throughout the film, we meet other people who have made a great impact on Mallo’s life, and through these other people, Mallo learns to deal with his pain in ways that are constructive, yet very unexpected.
I would wager that most of you had never even heard of Pain And Glory before reading this review.  Even I knew nothing about the movie when I went to see it.  It’s a film that is simply not being talked about by mainstream audiences, which is very sad to me.  It is my belief that Pain And Glory is a film that must be seen by everyone.  I haven’t seen a movie that has personally affected me as deeply as this one did in a very long time.  Its quiet intensity rocked me to my core.  It’s a film so achingly beautiful that it’s almost impossible to put into words.  It moved me to tears, and not because it was sad, but rather because it was indescribably gorgeous and immersive.
      Pedro Almodóvar is a master at work.  This was my first experience with one of his films, and it’s safe to say that I cannot wait to get my hands on his other movies.  He is unbelievably careful behind the camera, and his script is hypnotic, and deeply personal.  His use of color in this film is striking, and each color pops off the screen.  The visual contrast is also noteworthy.  Some scenes are set in the lavish apartment in which Salvador now resides, while there are other scenes set in the underground, cave-like home where he grew up.  The eclectic score by Alberto Iglesias is worth mentioning as well, as it aids in making the film more immersive.
The acting in Pain And Glory is second to none.  Antonio Banderas is the best I’ve ever seen him here.  He commands the screen like a true veteran.  Every line he delivers and every facial expression he makes oozes with raw emotion and power.  Make no mistake, the other actors are mind-blowingly good, but this film belongs to Banderas.
One thing I would love to mention about the movie is its structure.  To better illustrate this point, I’d like to provide a little anecdote.  When I went to see this movie at an out-of-town theater, I used a self serving machine to purchase my ticket.  However, the top corner of the screen stated that the film was twenty-one minutes long.  “I wasn’t aware this was a short film,” I thought to myself.  “This must be a mistake.”  
When the film started, the story seemed very contained, and seemed to set itself up and build to a resolution very quickly.  Maybe it was a short film after all!  But just as one character’s arc concluded, another character was introduced.  Twenty minutes later, the new character’s arc concluded, and another was introduced.  Twenty minutes later, the same thing happened again.  The movie felt like four or five different short films all involving Salvador Mallo and one other character.  I loved this technique because it gave each supporting character equal time with Mallo.  For each person that reemerges into his life, Mallo is given a new form of catharsis which helps him to deal with his physical and mental pain. 
I spent over a day’s time trying to find just one single thing that I didn’t love about this movie, and I have ultimately failed to find one.  This is a perfect movie in every way, and I am confident in saying that it is easily my favorite film of 2019 without a doubt.  To everyone reading this review, I urge you to see Pain And Glory before it leaves theaters.  It has everything I could ever ask for in a film, and I don’t think I’ll ever forget how this beautiful masterpiece made me feel.        
Rating: R
Grade: A+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tenet Movie Review

  “We live in a twilight world.” - The Protagonist         Tenet is the latest film from legendary director Christopher Nolan.  It stars John David Washington, Robert Pattinson, Kenneth Branagh, Michael Caine, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, and Elizabeth Debicki.  The film tells the complicated story of a man known simply as the Protagonist, as he and a group of others attempt to stop a Russian oligarch from destroying the world using a process known as inversion.  From there, the characters are led to different locations across the globe as they grapple with enemies both in the future and the past. Tenet was one of my most anticipated films of this year.  It was supposed to release over the summer, but due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it was delayed multiple times.  I am so grateful that I had the opportunity to see the film in a theater setting as opposed to watching it at home like so many other people have been doing for films t...

Ralph Breaks The Internet Movie Review

“There’s no law saying best friends have to have the same dreams.” - Shank Ralph Breaks The Internet is directed by Phil Johnston and Rich Moore, and stars John C. Reilly, Sarah Silverman, Gal Gadot and Taraji P. Henson.  The story takes place six years after the events of Wreck-It Ralph, where Ralph and Vanellope find themselves in the internet, trying to find a replacement steering wheel for Vanellope’s game, Sugar Rush. I was a little nervous going into this movie, because I really loved the the first one, and didn’t want to be disappointed by a mediocre sequel.  Thankfully, this movie was not a disappointment at all. It turned out to be a pleasant surprise in more ways than one. To start out, the animation is truly something to behold.  It’s so crisp and clean, and it is very pleasing to the eye. The colors really seem to pop out at you, and the set pieces and characters look very nice. This is a very beautiful looking film.  Besides just looking good, i...

Meet Joe Black Movie Review

“Be deliriously happy or at least leave yourself open to be.” - William Parrish Meet Joe Black is an inventive romance directed by Martin Brest.  It stars Anthony Hopkins and Brad Pitt. To start off, this film has really good music from Thomas Newman, and a very cool concept about a woman who falls in love with death. Both Pitt and Hopkins are excellent in this film.  However, there is some very poor acting on display from Marcia Gay Harden, Jake Weber, and Jeffrey Tambor. Speaking of Tambor, his character, while fun, bumbling, and humorous, is ridiculously, unbelievably stupid. There are many things in this film that just do not work.  There are painfully awkward moments in the script, and the dialogue is very poorly written, and sloppy at times. They tried to cram as many subplots into the story as they could to keep it interesting, but it was all a convoluted mess. It would’ve greatly benefited the film if the writers and the director simply realized that s...