Skip to main content

A Star Is Born Movie Review

“All that the artist can offer the world is how they see those twelve notes.” - Bobby Maine
A Star Is Born is Bradley Cooper’s directorial debut, and it stars Bradley Cooper, Lady Gaga, and Sam Elliott.  Bradley Cooper plays a musician who meets a shy young singer (Gaga) who he immediately falls in love with. He talks her into singing on stage with him, and while she becomes a star overnight, he struggles with alcoholism and drug addiction.
A Star Is Born is one of my favorite movies of the year, albeit an emotionally crushing one.  To start off, the acting is all around incredible. Bradley Cooper is great as usual. But the real surprise here was Sam Elliott, who in my opinion deserves the Best Supporting Actor Oscar.  And don’t even get me started with Lady Gaga. She kills it here. If she doesn’t win Best Actress, or at the very least get nominated, I will be legitimately upset. She gives the best performance in the entire film.  
I loved the characters in this film.  Bradley Cooper playing a very flawed character who despite having some pretty serious problems, tries his best to be a good human being, Sam Elliott playing the gruff but good-hearted older brother, and Lady Gaga playing the singer who finds her voice, and doesn’t let her newfound fame get in the way of her being a kind, caring person who is true to herself.
The script is very good, and the story is incredible.  The camerawork is really good too. But the one thing that I just can’t praise enough is the music.  The original songs are unbelievably good, and I can’t stop listening to the soundtrack. Who knew Bradley Cooper could sing?  Speaking of Cooper, he does a fantastic job directing the film. This is his movie.  You can tell when watching this that he put everything he had into the film.  The direction shines, and I can’t wait to see what he does next.
As far as problems go, there are some pretty significant pacing issues.  There are some very important moments that go by way too fast, and if you’re not paying close attention, you could miss them.  Other moments drag on for longer than they probably should. Despite these flaws though, I loved this movie. Overall, A Star Is Born floored me, and I can’t wait to see it again.
Rating: R

Grade: A

Comments

  1. I agree with Grant’s review of A Star is Born in every way that he is perceiving it. I especially share his appreciation of the music which I think I enjoyed even more than the previous Barbra Streisand version. I also appreciate Grants observation of the pacing issues but It did not affect my focus or interest very much. Gaga really did dazzle me as well with her acting abilities in her portrayal of Ally.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tenet Movie Review

  “We live in a twilight world.” - The Protagonist         Tenet is the latest film from legendary director Christopher Nolan.  It stars John David Washington, Robert Pattinson, Kenneth Branagh, Michael Caine, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, and Elizabeth Debicki.  The film tells the complicated story of a man known simply as the Protagonist, as he and a group of others attempt to stop a Russian oligarch from destroying the world using a process known as inversion.  From there, the characters are led to different locations across the globe as they grapple with enemies both in the future and the past. Tenet was one of my most anticipated films of this year.  It was supposed to release over the summer, but due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it was delayed multiple times.  I am so grateful that I had the opportunity to see the film in a theater setting as opposed to watching it at home like so many other people have been doing for films t...

Ralph Breaks The Internet Movie Review

“There’s no law saying best friends have to have the same dreams.” - Shank Ralph Breaks The Internet is directed by Phil Johnston and Rich Moore, and stars John C. Reilly, Sarah Silverman, Gal Gadot and Taraji P. Henson.  The story takes place six years after the events of Wreck-It Ralph, where Ralph and Vanellope find themselves in the internet, trying to find a replacement steering wheel for Vanellope’s game, Sugar Rush. I was a little nervous going into this movie, because I really loved the the first one, and didn’t want to be disappointed by a mediocre sequel.  Thankfully, this movie was not a disappointment at all. It turned out to be a pleasant surprise in more ways than one. To start out, the animation is truly something to behold.  It’s so crisp and clean, and it is very pleasing to the eye. The colors really seem to pop out at you, and the set pieces and characters look very nice. This is a very beautiful looking film.  Besides just looking good, i...

Meet Joe Black Movie Review

“Be deliriously happy or at least leave yourself open to be.” - William Parrish Meet Joe Black is an inventive romance directed by Martin Brest.  It stars Anthony Hopkins and Brad Pitt. To start off, this film has really good music from Thomas Newman, and a very cool concept about a woman who falls in love with death. Both Pitt and Hopkins are excellent in this film.  However, there is some very poor acting on display from Marcia Gay Harden, Jake Weber, and Jeffrey Tambor. Speaking of Tambor, his character, while fun, bumbling, and humorous, is ridiculously, unbelievably stupid. There are many things in this film that just do not work.  There are painfully awkward moments in the script, and the dialogue is very poorly written, and sloppy at times. They tried to cram as many subplots into the story as they could to keep it interesting, but it was all a convoluted mess. It would’ve greatly benefited the film if the writers and the director simply realized that s...